Tower Works, Leeds
The fine example of Victorian architecture in central Leeds is known as Tower Works and was built in 1864-66 by Thomas Shaw. The factory produced pins for wool, flax, cotton and silk combing and for carding cloth. The firm's founder was succeeded by his son, Colonel TR Harding, one of the foremost Leeds philanthropists of his day, and the business continued until 1978.
Much of the original structure has now been demolished and the area is currently undergoing redevelopment. Its three towers, however, are all listed structures and are legally protected from demolition. As such, they are to be preserved and incorporated into the surroundings of more modern buildings as the world changes around them.